Posted on: April 17, 2010 12:19 am
Edited on: April 17, 2010 12:32 am
With the 2010 draft nearly upon us I thought it suiting to take a look back at the ten best picks the Packers have made under Ted Thompson.
10) James Jones WR Round 3, 78th overall, 2007 - Jones became an immediate impact his rookie year in 2007 earning the third receiver spot. He finished a rookie year that finishes fourth best in Packer history. Currently, Jones still holds on the third receiver spot.
9) Mason Crosby K Round 6, 193rd overall, 2007 - Crosby won the kicking job his rookie year during training camp. All Crosby did his rookie season was become the first rookie to lead the NFL in scoring since Chicago K Kevin Butler in 1985. Currently, Crosby still holds the starting job for the Pack.
8) Jermichael Finley TE Round 3, 91st, 2008 - Finley didn't break out until his sophomore year in 2009. He finished the '09 campaign with 676 yards and 5 touchdowns receptions. Currently, Finley is listed as the second tight end on NFL.com and first on cbssports.com on the roster.
7) Jason Spitz G Round 3, 75th, 2006 - Spitz has been one of the most reliable and consistent offensive players. In 2008 he was one of only two offensive players to play every snap of the season. Although starting at guard for most of his career, Spitz is currently listed as the second center.
6) B.J. Raji NT 9th overall, 2009 - Raji played in 14 games his rookie year. Currently, Raji is listed as the second NT, and is expected to have a breakout sophomore year.
5) Clay Matthews LB 26th overall, 2009 - Matthews had an amazing rookie season playing in all 16 games starting 13. He led the team with 10 sacks, the most by rookie in franchise history and was selected as a first alternate to the Pro Bowl. Currently, Matthews is still the starting ROLB.
4) Nick Collins FS Round 2, 51st, 2005 - Collins has started all 45 games he has played in missing only three games in his career, but only truly broke out in 2008 as a big play-maker. Currently, Collins remains the starting free safety.
3) A.J. Hawk LB 5th overall, 2006 - Hawk has started every single game since his rookie year. In that rookie year he led the team with 155 tackles second-most ever by a Packer rookie. Currently, Hawk remains the starting LILB.
2) Greg Jennings WR Round 2, 52nd, 2006 - Jennings broke out in 2007 as big play-maker. That year he caught Brett Favre's record-breaking 421st TD pass, and Aaron Rodgers' first career TD pass. Currently, Jennings is one of the two starting receivers with Donald Driver.
1) Aaron Rodgers QB 24th overall, 2005 - Sitting behind Favre for three years, Rodgers got his first start in 2008 and is no doubt the best pick Thompson has made. In the two years he has been the starter he has thrown for a combined 8,472 yards, 58 TDs, and only 20 picks. Rodgers is now easily a top 5 QB in the NFL and is without question a future Packer legend.